Monday, February 23, 2015

Frida Kahlo: An Inspiration

Frida Kahlo is one of my favorite artists. I've always loved her self portraits, but I recently realised that I don't know much about Frida or her art, other than what I learned about in elementary school art class. I researched her life and her art, and she became even more inspiring as I studied her art online.

When I was little, I saw one of Frida's paintings in a museum. I remember it was a self portrait, and that I was completely mesmerized by her style. I still remember that trip because of that painting, and Frida has been one of my favorite artists ever since. She used her art to document her life. The pain and the passion. Even though the internet is still an incredible resource for knowledge, these pictures probably don't do the paintings justice. But please, admire them anyway. Maybe what you see here can inspire a trip to a museum to see her art in person, or to just go on to learn a little bit more about Frida's art and life.
  
 El Autobus

"I tried to drown my sorrows, but the bastards learned to swim, and now I am overwhelmed by this decent and good feeling."

Henry Ford Hospital

Moses Nucleus Of Creation
 
 Self Portrait 1926

"I used to think I was the strangest person in the world. But then I thought, there are so many people in the world, there must be someone like me who feels bizarre and flawed in the same ways I do. I would imagine her and imagine that she must be out there and read this and know that, yes, it's true. I'm here and I'm just as strange as you."

Self Portrait 1940

 The Two Fridas

What The Water Gave Me

"Feet, what do I need you for when I have wings to fly."

No comments:

Post a Comment